1901 Ginger Drop Cookies

Last night my mother asked me to make her some sweets so I though, I'll use my Inglenook Cook Book
I looked though and within it's Cakes category I found 697 Ginger Drop Cakes.
The recipe is pretty straight forward since most cookbooks from around this time and earlier assumed you already know how to cook.
"Take 1/2 cup each of butter and sugar, 1 cup molasses, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ginger, 1/2 cup of boiling water, 1 teaspoon of soda, and a pinch of salt mixed in 3 cups of flour. Mix the ingredient in the order named; drop small spoonful 2 inches apart in a well-greased and bake in a quick oven. -- Sister M. Jane Staffer, Polo, Illinois"

That's it.

Cream the butter and sugar then mix the rest in order. You'll be left with a thick batter. (I also added a pinch of Mace and fresh Nutmeg.)

Bake between 375-400℉ for 8-10 minutes.
These cookies are soft like cake and just want to melt in your mouth.

Now, be wary, this recipe can feed a crowd. In order to not be crushed to death under a mountain of cookies I experimented (As I often do.)
I made a small loaf cake and 6 cupcakes along side of the cookies.

For the cupcakes bake for 30 or so minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts